Monday

hope

Hope. I read Pema Chodron who recommends giving it up and embracing hopelessness as part of an effort to become who we are in this exact moment. To become groundless. To become finally comfortable as we are rather than what we may become. There is a lot to be said for having a consciousness that insists on being entirely present. When I am my senses are much more acute, I am part of the natural scheme. I hear birds more clearly. I stand in my body fully aware of the ground beneath my feet, the sun on my face, the wind. I dance. I breathe and am glad for it. In this state the habitual and often repetitive thinking that has the ability to wrap me is gone. It feels good. Be Here Now.

Hope. My Taoist reading this mornings: without hope we would not go on to tomorrow. Time is a part of our lives. Tomorrow as real as today. Seasons change and we have absolute knowledge of this inevitability. We work both in the pleasure of our efforts and the pleasure of completion. Hope inspires the effort. The great beauty of the Tao is the embrace of opposites. To accept without condition what is and to know that what is can and will change. Hope gives me the willingness to be part of that change. To dream.