Tuesday

Kindness



"Three things in human life are important.  The first is to be kind.  The second is to be kind.  And the third is to be kind."    Henry James

I certainly have much opportunity to practice this beautiful philosophy.  Easily done with people I love, people I like and people who are themselves treating me kindly.

And then there are the others.  Rude people.  People with whom I disagree radically enough to feel compromise a dangerous thing.  People who don't like me and let me know it.  People who have hurt me in some way.  People who have stolen from me. People who don't write the checks they have promised when they have promised leaving me unable in turn to write the checks to those I have promised.

And they don't necessarily need to do any of this to me. If someone insults someone I love, I do not wish, in the first flush of anger, to treat them kindly. Maybe I will, though. Or at least I'll consider it.  I may not stand on the high hill of kindness at every opportunity but I do know it is there.

I'll be kind to myself today and take progress over perfection.