Saturday

Contrarian

Know thyself.  A maxim as pernicious as it is ugly.  Whoever studies himself arrests his own development.  A caterpillar who seeks to know himself would never become a butterfly.  
Andre Gide

When I'm feeling especially contrarian  there's nobody like the French.  In the studio the most constant task is to not be trapped into what I already know.  If I come to depend on overly established fact all I can do is repeat myself. Which often isn't even myself but someone else's thinking that I've appropriated for my own.  Something I've picked up along the way and set perhaps in stone.  Something I've chosen to mirror, to echo.  So much in our society seems set in stone.  Somedays I have a clear sense of all the groups with their differing opinions marching along, each holding up their most beloved effigy then dashing toward one another intent on a little smashing. Oh yeah.

Change, it seems, is inevitable.  With that in mind I'm thinking dance may be the greatest art form of all.  Free form modernist dancing that doesn't know its next move until the move begins.  Which is why abstract expressionism in painting holds the power it does for me.  And why, too, it's so scary to write.  The backward look doesn't serve me well as a point of departure but it sure does want to.  But today I'm undefined enough to refuse.  And so I shall.  I will avoid the bad hand.  I will turn away from the fall.  I will dance.