Saturday

Lumocity: Part One



It all began innocently enough.  Several years ago I needed sleep desperately and just wasn't getting it.  Drugs, homeopathic or herbal, didn't give me the type of sleep I wanted.  The next day I would be groggy for several hours into the morning and this was almost as bad as the tiredness from the sleeplessness itself.

So I started meditating on the nature of sleep; how it entered the body, where it entered the body.  I came to the conclusion that it had to be through the third eye area.  One thing lead to another and soon I found I was able to put myself to sleep by manipulating this area.

I had opened what many Chinese call the 'dream channel' and what westerners call the pineal gland. This little pinecone-shaped gland, anatomically in very same location as the third eye,  keeps  busy producing and regulating melatonin; which in turn produces sleep.  As you can imagine, I have been quite pleased with these discoveries and even more pleased to be able to put them to such good work for myself.

Since the outcome has been so advantageous I've started looking around to see what else I could do with this brain of mine. To that end I've been looking at diagrams and schematics of the brain, mostly on-line. I actually looked at a photograph of the brain of Albert Einstein.  Which seemed strangely invasive and without redeeming value. I'm sure his nephew had the best of intentions when he donated the brain to 'further scientific study'. But then you know what they say about that kind of intention and how rarely the result nears its promised land.

Somewhere in this search I came across a site called lumocity that offers a performance based index for  brain-training games played on their site.  Not exactly what I was looking for but interesting all the same.

I played a couple of games, signed up for a monthly course and started tracking my performance rate.  I felt pretty good going in at what I thought was the top percentage of my age group.  Which I had lowered by ten years as to have a bit more of a challenge, no less. Well, it turned out that I was not in the top 11%. Oh no, not at all. I was in the bottom  11%.

What a crushing blow to my ego!  The only course of action would be to master the games and restore myself to my rightful place at the top of the cognitive heap.  I found math skills had damn near atrophied from years of disuse.  Spell-check had wrecked havoc with however fine a speller I liked to think I once might have been. I saw immediately that my work was cut out for me.

What I did not see was that I was to become a gamer, a gamester, a game-playing fool.  And how quickly.