Wednesday

Lumocity: Part Two



Some of us are more competitive than others.  I am definitely in the more group. Some of us are more prone to addiction.  I'm in that group too.

Genetic? Probably.  My grandmother simply could not bear to be outdone by anyone at anything.  Her successes included being one of the best shots in the county, an accomplished rider and one of the better businesswomen of her generation. And she was happy.  Her sister, a musician,  just the same.  Cousins, oh yeah.  Competition was always familiar, perhaps even expected.

Environment? Competitiveness was strongly encouraged by my Dad, who thought little girls could and should do anything. No holds barred. Especially his little girl.  Nice guy, my Dad.  An all around outdoorsman type who included me in all his adventures. He and my Mom burned up the Scrabble board in their heated games. In and out of the house there was always plenty of action.

Add this pleasure in competition to a possibly stronger propensity to addiction and voila...there I am.  I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.  Both have served me well in giving me the staying power to make modernist art in a community that's anything but.  And it's not just that...the list is long.

So having found myself at the bottom of the cognitive heap, according to the Lumocity brain performance rating, I clearly understood that there was nothing for it but to claw my way to the top.  And that's what I have done.  After a two month stretch I'm at ninety-five percent overall.  That's up from the eleven percent where I began.  And it feels pretty good.  Except that I'm still eyeing those five percentage points that would put me at the very top.  Does that extra five percent mean so much?  We'll see.

I'm starting to find myself thinking more about the processes themselves.  I may be losing interest in purely cognitive skills.  There was a reason those cognitive skills atrophied. And I'm thinking it may well have been simply a lack of interest.