Monday

Wild Turkeys, hen or tom, and Woodstoves


Four wild turkeys take their ease by the pond after harvesting the grass seed of the western slope. Watching the hens lift and bob their way down the hillside, picking this bit and that, I postponed my
own twig gathering excursion until the hens have promenaded back up and over the hill.

Dried twigs and small branches are the good and plenty of ground's harvest throughout the wooded parts of the valley.  All it takes is a bob and lift of my own and viola! kindling for the woodstove. I've enjoyed everything about building fires in this stove.  The shape and size are very agreeable, especially the height.  At this height the fire can be built from a standing position. I can't say enough about the desirability of standing while doing any sort of work rather than crouching so I simply won't say more.

And, wonder of wonder,  a certain draft created by using a specific combination of door and flue allows the log-feeding main door to be left open for fire gazing.  Our kind has been mesmerized by red glowing coals of wood set alight for millennium. In this house the beat goes on.

Of all the woodstove market had to offer I was most keen on a more circle-than-square design. I was altogether impressed by elegant Scandinavian metallurgies, especially the Danish.  Prices were in the thousands for those, in the hundreds for the Vogelzang marvel. Voglezang it is.

I have never seen Turkeys, hen or tom, gather twigs or any material for nesting.  I think they hide the nest in small hollows the hens create under great heaps of fallen branches.  The tom does not share this nest with the hen who herself leaves it for the arboreal as soon as the chicks can fly. Strangely enough it seems it is the poplar they prefer.  I would have thought the large pines.

Seeds. For them. Twigs and small branches.  For me.